Rollerskating has been around since the 18th century and is popular as a form of transportation, a sport and a type of performance art.
With a number of different forms and styles, not to mention retro appeal there is plenty to love on rollerskating!
A video of Rollerskating for Kids
Information on Rollerskating for Kids in South Africa
Will your kids enjoy rollerskating?
Are you looking for activities for kids that incorporate fun and great exercise?
If they enjoy a challenge and don’t mind a fall or two why not try rollerskating? Whether your kids are thrillseekers, competitive or just like the outdoors, rollerskating may have something to offer them. The benefits of rollerskating can include:
- Improved cardiovascular fitness
- Improved balance
- Cheap - just purchase or hire skates and you’re on your way!
- Versatile: Lots of different types of skating to try
- A fun mode of transportation
- Can be done indoors and outdoors Social events such as roller discos allow kids to make new friends.
There are two main types of rollerskates:
- Quad skates (traditional roller boots with 4 wheels and a brake on the front - good for young kids and beginners
- Inline skates or roller blades (row of wheels down the middle of the skate - good for speed
Rollerskating can be a great activity for kids from 3 years and up. It is important that kids wear appropriate safety gear when rollerskating including pads, knee guards and a helmet. Boots and safety gear can be bought or hired for a low fee. Rollerskating is a relatively inexpensive kids’ activity.
How can you organise Rollerskating lessons and activities for your kids?Are you looking for somewhere your kids can learn to rollerskate and participate in rollerskating activities with supervision?
As well as specialised skate clubs many leisure centres offer rollerskating lessons and events such as roller discos, roller derbys and related sporting events.
Lessons usually cost around R35-R50 per session and casual visits to a skating rink is around R10-R20 a session.
Once kids have a good level of control over their skates they might like to take to the ramp or skate park, or get involved in events such as roller hockey or inline speed skating.
With so many different rollerskating activities to choose from, your child will never get bored!